Ah 2016, I am so happy you are over! Besides the obvious celebrity deaths and political turmoil throughout the world, it was a year of transitions within my life. I started taking my career with my current company much more seriously with the thought of next steps, etc. For the family, our nanny moved to So Cal in May so we decided to go without and rely on the kids to care for themselves after school. Most days I am home, working when they get home. However, I do travel a few times per month ranging from 1 to 5 days gone, so they have had to step it up in terms of responsibilities: schoolwork, feeding (both themselves and the dogs), and chores. Thankfully it has worked out so far and the "mommy guilt" has not been overwhelming.
For my 2016 favorites, I broke it up into two categories: Beauty and Lifestyle. This seemed the most clean-cut way to present it and I have provided links to check them out if you would like.
For beauty, I have listed items that I would buy again (or already have...), bought multiples, and would really recommend to friends & family. As a reminder for the skincare items, I have dry skin with some sunspots and a few minor wrinkles (AKA aging skin.....)
- Beauty Blender - best application method for foundations, concealer, cream blush. Beauty Blender
- Sephora solid brush soap - love this cleaner for the blender and brushes Sephora Solid Brush Soap
- Japonesque spray brush cleaner - for everyday cleaning, very quick to spray on, swipe on a clean cloth and DONE! Japonesque Spray Brush Cleaner
- L'Oreal Pro-Glow Foundation - again, I have dry skin, so looking for something that will provide coverage and dewy glow L'Oreal Pro-Glow Foundation
- Tarte Shape Tape concealer - this is pretty heavy-duty stuff, so use sparingly and for my dry skin, I do not have to set with powder Tarte Shape-Tape Concealer
- Becca Mineral blush in Wild Honey - very natural, wear with anything blush. Almost a bronzer, with a bit more warmth Becca Mineral Blush
- rms beauty Living Luminizer - so dewy and natural, love this with just a BB/light coverage face. rms Living Luminizer
- Clarins Instant Light Lip Perfectors - always a fave, see previous post on this wonderful lippie Clarins Instant Lip Perfector
- Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Lip Liners - so creamy and long lasting. Fave colors are Iconic Nude and Pillow Talk. Charlotte Tilbury Lip Liner
- Rapidlash serum - I have definitely seen growth in length and thickness since using this serum. You can get it at Ulta but check HauteLook periodically for deals. RapidLash Serum
- Sephora Waterproof Brow pencil - fave for my brows, and I use it alone for a more natural look and with colored powder for more definition. The comb-thing at the end sucks though so use it with a spooly/clean mascara wand. Sephora Eyebrow Pencil
- LORAC Pro-Matte eyeshadow palette - love this for basic eyes especially if I am wearing any type of shine on my face. Just creates good balance, and colors are both warm and cool. LORAC Pro-Matte Palette
- Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Liner - all-time best liquid liner for me (both black and brown) Stila Liquid Liner
- Josie Maran Argan Oil - I mix this with a little bit of spray toner/herbal spray and rub all over my face at night, feels so good Josie Maran Argan Oil
- Clinique take the day off cleansing balm - scoop, rub together in hands, smoosh all over face, and wipe of with a warm water wash cloth. Clinique Cleansing Balm
- Origins Vita-Zing moisturizer - I think I have been using this for at least 4 years. Love the spf and feel of it on my face. Perfect right before make-up. Origins Vita-Zing Moisturizer
- Madison Reed Root Touch-up - gotta keep the skunk strip hidden! My hair grows very fast, so I usually have to start using it with 1-2 weeks after my last color appt. Madison Reed Root Touch-up
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo - really good matte finish dry shampoo. The only one I have found (so far) that does not make my hair feel dirtier the next day! Living Proof Dry Shampoo
- Klorane Mango Oil Spray - perfect for hair ends, and the smell is delish! Klorane Mango Hair Oil
For lifestyle, these are items that I have really enjoyed and appreciated throughout the year. They may also be things that have made my life easier, helped me organize, or are simply delightful!
- Cormoran Strike book series - written by the fab JK Rowling (as Robert Gallbraith), first third of the first book (The Cuckoo's Calling) is a bit tough to get through, but so wonderful going beyond that! The Cuckoo's Calling
- Diptyque Baies Candle - oh how I love and cherish you! The smell is divine, but the cost is shiver-inducing. This is what I buy when I get the $25 off $100 purchase from Space NK! Diptyque Baies Candle
- Kindle app - I cannot go anywhere without knowing that I have a book handy to read if needed.
- WizGear cell phone magnetic car holder - I love this holder for my car! I am in my car a ton for work and need to be able to see Google Maps and play my podcasts as needed. Of course no texting, but need to have this within my view and this mounted to the vents is ideal.
WizGear Magnetic Cell Phone Car Holder
- Amazon series - Good Girls Revolt and Goliath: I am not a big TV watcher, but I traveled recently to Singapore (hello 17 hour flight) and downloaded these shows on my phone and iPad. Thankfully, Amazon now let's you download shows and you have 48 hours to watch once you open them up on your device. These shows kept me entertained and distracted from the fact that I could not fall asleep!
Good Girls Revolt is about women writers at a Newsweek-like publication in the 60s (believe based on a true story) and how they finally revolted on the men that were taking credit for their work. Amazon - Good Girls Revolt
Goliath stars Billy Bob Thornton as a down and out (sleazy?) lawyer that takes on his old firm and frankly, kicks-ass! I am not the biggest BBT fan, but I really liked him in this. Amazon - Goliath